Highlights from "Fantasy Football Camp"
Posted Aug. 23 at 02:26 AM
A couple of observations from the “Fantasy Football Camp With John Clayton” event that I attended on Thursday night:
Brock Huard, former quarterback for the University of Washington, was there. His brother is still in the pros, so has some access into the organizations at Kansas City and San Francisco. Brock says that Damon says that the new head honcho at Arrowhead, Scott Pioli, told Dwayne Bowe, “You’re not my guy.” Huard doesn’t think that Bowe will stay in Kansas City for long.
Some of the opinions offered up by John Clayton:
* Minnesota should have a big-time passing attack with Brett Favre.
* Greg Olsen clearly will be Chicago’s leading receiver.
* Javon Walker of the Raiders looks surprisingly good. Clayton is of the school of thought that Darrius Heyward-Bey simply can’t catch the ball well enough to ever be a legit NFL receiver.
* Larry Johnson is in great shape and will have a huge year.
* Frank Gore will be selected too late in fantasy drafts.
* Cedric Benson should be very good for the Bengals.
* Chris Henry will be Cincinnati’s No. 4 wide receiver, not its No. 3 – Andre Caldwell will be the third receiver there.
* Knowshon Moreno will be a full-time player.
* No chance the Jaguars will pull Maurice Jones-Drew in goal-line situations.
* Marques Colston is back. Will have a big year.
* Giants will use a committee approach with their wide receivers.
* Julius Jones should be very good for the Seahawks.
Posted by ANTHONY TANGORRA | Aug. 23 at 07:10 AM
Good stuff Ian. Most surprising seems to the Bowe insight and the pending Chris Henry demotion. Anyone watching the preseasons marathon on NFL Netowrk has to be moving Benson up on their boards. He is playing every down in all formations and is seeing the ball constantly on the ground and in the air; and playing better than the stats would indicate.
Posted by John Evans | Aug. 23 at 01:16 PM
The two things that surprised me the most were on the topic of Javon Walker & Knowshown Moreno. Walker...really? I think that most gave up on this guy two years ago. And is Moreno really going to get full-time duty with all of those other backs on the roster? I would like to see that. Every time that I see Peyton Hillis, I want him on my favorite NFL team. The guy is EXTREMELY good at everything related to the RB position.
Posted by ANDY RICHARDSON | Aug. 23 at 10:36 PM
I find a couple of his observations surprising. How on earth is Andre Caldwell going to pass Chris Henry? And a "big-time passing attack" for the Vikings? While I'd say Favre is probably capable of it, given that they have a great running game and a very good defense, as well as a 40-year-old QB who could break down late in the season, wouldn't you think they'd try to pace him a little bit? Why have him throwing the ball 30-40 times a game in September and October?
Posted by Paul Owers | Aug. 24 at 04:57 AM
Excellent insight on D. Bowe. But the info is coming third hand. Brock Huard might be getting only one side of the story and unintentionally twisting the facts a bit. I wouldn't write Bowe off as a a sleeper just yet. And I agree with Andy on Favre. He'll have to be a "game manager" who throws only about 20 passes each week if he wants to last the season. Considering he is so far past his prime, I have zero fantasy interest in Favre.
Add a Comment
Already a registered user? Please sign in to add comments.
To add comments, you must become a registered user of our site. To register, please click here.