Around the NFL
Forte should be opening day starter
Posted Jun. 19 at 03:27 AM
It’s looking less likely that the Bears are going to sign a veteran running back such as Kevin Jones or Shaun Alexander – at least not right now.
In an article in today’s Chicago Sun-Times Lovie Smith says the team has no plans to sign a veteran running back (to replace Cedric Benson, who was released last week).
“We like the running backs we have right now,” Smith says in the article. “We don’t have any plans to (sign a free agent). From Matt to Adrian Peterson to Garrett Wolfe to P.J. Pope, Matt Lawrence, we like all of our players, and those are the ones that we’re going with.”
Forte, the team’s second-round draft pick, is considered the most likely to be the team’s starter. And if he can secure that role, he’ll have a good chance to outproduce all five running backs who were selected in the first round of the April draft. None of those guys is expected to play full time.
Plans can change, of course. If the team’s running backs underperform in late July and early August, the team could address the position at that time. Kevin Jones is probably the most likely option, followed perhaps by LaMont Jordan, who should be cut loose from the Raiders by that time.
The Sun-Times article was written by Brad Biggs. It can be accessed by at the newspaper’s website.
Add a Comment
Already a registered user? Please sign in to add comments.
To add comments, you must become a registered user of our site. To register, please click here.