Fantasy Football Reader Columnist (unpaid)
Do you enjoy writing, but lack the time to write the Great American Novel? Encourage your inner Mark Twain and submit a Fantasy Football Index Reader Column.
Our two paid columnists were hired based on their reader column submissions. If we hire in the future, we'll look first at those writers with whom we're familiar.
- Be interesting. We typically prefer general interest topics over player evaluations. We think we do a pretty good job writing about players and teams.
- Don't bore our readers. You'd be amazed how often we receive the following column: "I love fantasy football! I can't wait for draft night! The six months between the Super Bowl and training camp drag on and on. I love watching football, and fantasy football makes the NFL even more exciting." We're happy for you, and we are fascinated by your love of professional football.
However, our media consultants discovered -- after six months of consumer research including focus groups, telephone surveys and written surveys -- that none of our readers care whether you like to play fantasy football.
- Please limit your column's length to 350-400 words (2000-2300 characters). Spelling, punctuation, capitalization and grammar are important. theres not much chance of us printing your colum if we need to waste a bunch of time fixing your mispelling and runon sentences not to mention if you spell pittsburg wrong or maybe emmit smiths name and remember to get the apostrophe's inthe right places too. also capital letters BUT NOT ALL CAPS BECAUSE NOBODY LIKES TO READ THAT IN FACT IAN ALLAN MAKES FUN OF PEOPLE IN HIS MAILBAG COLUM IF THEY WRITE IN ALL CAPS
- We screen reader columns about once per week, so try to write about timeless topics. If you write about, say, ugly uniforms, or ugly players, or about the idiotic use of penalty kicks to decide World Cup soccer games -- well heck, we can publish those columns any time.
- Here's a biggie: We will NOT print columns with disparaging remarks about women. This means no jokes about "the little woman," the Hooters waitress, football widows, the missus, cheerleaders, etc. Recently we spiked a column with a comment that made us laugh like heck. But we stick to our guns on that rule. Avoid profanity. When in doubt, leave it out.
- Please don't submit anything that's already appearing on another website.
Although we've just given you "don't do this, don't do that," we truly enjoy reading each Reader Column. We simply want to help you invest your time wisely.
Do you have the right stuff? Please send your column to firstname.lastname@example.org.